Registering

There is a big question of when I should register and where I should register.
I have a friend who is due the month before me and she is already registered online at Amazon.
I asked her why...she said so that anyone can send her a gift from anywhere. This is great, but it will be the same as her wedding shower where she has nothing to open but cards with the pictures of the items in it. I agree that Amazon is a great place to look at the items and read reviews, but I will not be registering there. Plus, if I did register there, that would mean I registered at three different places.
I think two places is plenty. I will be registering at Target and BabiesRUS.

Now the question of when? How many months ahead of time...because things are always changing!
My shower, which a friend has already asked to throw, is a month before the due date.
So how far in advance can I get crazy with that wand? And how much research do I need to do ahead of time?

Also, a little hint, if you are looking for a stroller and want to test it out...go to BuyBuyBaby if there is one near you. Seriously, it's like the car lot of strollers!